Statement of faith
Calvary Chapel of Downey has been formed as a fellowship of believers in the Lordship of Jesus Christ. Our supreme desire is to know Christ and be conformed to His image by the power of the Holy Spirit. We are not a denominational church, nor are we opposed to denominations as such, only to their over-emphasis of the doctrinal differences that have led to the division of the Body of Christ. We do believe in key doctrinal tenets that form the basis of a true Christian faith.
- We believe that there is one living and true GOD, eternally existing in three persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, equal in power and glory; that this triune God created all, upholds all, and governs all things. (Genesis 1:1; Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 44:8 and 48:16; Matthew 28:19-20; John 10:30, and Hebrews 1:3 and 9:14).
- We believe that the scriptures of the Old and New Testament are the Word of God, inspired by God without error and the infallible rule of faith and practice. The Word of God is the foundation upon which this church operates and is the basis on which this church is governed. We believe that the Word of God supersedes any earthly law that is contrary to the Holy Scriptures. (Isaiah 28:13; Nehemiah 8:8; John 17:17; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; Hebrews 4:12; 1 Peter 1:23-25; and 2 Peter 1:3-4 and 1:21).
- We believe in the person of God the Father, an infinite, eternal, personal Spirit, perfect in holiness, wisdom, power, and love; that He concerns Himself mercifully in the affairs of men; that He hears and answers prayers; and that He saves from sin and death all those who come to Him through Jesus Christ. (Deuteronomy 33:27; Psalms 90:2; Psalms 102:27; John 3:16 and 4:24; 1 Timothy 1:17; and Titus 1:3).
- We believe in the person of Jesus Christ, God’s only begotten Son, conceived by the Holy Spirit. We believe in His virgin birth, sinless life, miracles and teachings, His substitutionary atoning death on the cross, His bodily resurrection, ascension into heaven, perpetual intercession for His people, and His personal and visible return to earth. (Isaiah 7:14; Micah 5:2; Matthew 1:23; Mark 16:19; Luke 1:34-35; John 1:1-2, 8:58, and 11:25; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 1 Timothy 3:16; Hebrews 1:8; 1 John 1:2; and Revelation 1:8).
- We believe in the person of the Holy Spirit, Who came forth from the Father and Son to convict the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment, and to regenerate, sanctify, and empower for ministry all who believe in Christ. (Acts I :8; 2 Corinthians 3:18; John 16:8-11; Romans 8:26 and 15:13, 16; and Hebrews 9:14).
- We believe the Holy Spirit indwells every believer in Jesus Christ and that He is an abiding helper, teacher, and guide to the believer. (John 6:13, 14:16-17, and 16:8-11; Romans 8:26).
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit and in the exercise of all Biblical gifts of the Spirit. (1 Corinthians 14).
- We believe in the laying on of hands for the baptism of the Holy Spirit and the ordination of pastors, elders, and deacons, and for the receiving of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 6:6 and 8:17; I Timothy 4:14).
- We believe that all people are sinners by nature and, therefore, are under condemnation; that God saves and regenerates based upon faith by the Holy Spirit, those who repent of their sins and confess Jesus Christ as Lord. (Acts 8:15-17; Romans 3:23 and 5:8; Ephesians 2:1-3 and 8-9; and Titus 3:5).
- We believe in the universal church, the living spiritual body, of which Christ is the head and all who are born again are a part of the Body of Christ. (1 Corinthians 12:12-13; Ephesians 4:15-16).
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ instituted two ordinances for the church: water baptism of believers, and (b) the Lord’s Supper. (Matthew 28: 19; Luke 22: 19-20; Acts 2:38; and I Corinthians 11:23-26).
- We believe in the Second Coming of Jesus Christ which is His personal, visible return to earth and the establishment of His millennial kingdom, in the resurrection of the body, the final judgment and eternal blessing of the righteous and endless separation of the wicked. (Matthew 16:27; Acts I :I I ; Revelation 19:11-16 and 20:11-15).
- We believe in a literal Heaven and a literal Hell and that all those who place their faith, hope, and trust in Jesus Christ will spend eternity in Heaven with the Lord, while those who reject Jesus’ free gift of salvation will spend eternity separated from God. (Psalm 9:17, Matthew 5:3, 5:22, 18:9, and 25:31-34; Luke 12:5; John 3:18; Hebrews 12:23; 1 Peter 1:4; and Revelation 3:10, 5:7-10, and 7:13-14).
- We believe in the Pre-Tribulation Rapture of the Church, where all believers will meet the Lord in the air and be taken out of this world prior to the Tribulation that will come upon the earth. (Isaiah 26:20-21; Matthew 24:29- 31; Luke 21:36; Romans 1:18 and 5:9; I Thessalonians 1:10, 4:13-16, and 5:9; 2 Peter 2:7-9; and Revelation 3:10, 5:7-10, and 7:13-14).
- We believe in the creation and God as the Creator. We believe that God created man and that He created them male and female. As such, He created them different so as to complement and complete each other. We believe that God instituted marriage as a monogamous relationship between one male and one female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society and as such, we believe that marriage is exclusively the legal union of one man and one woman. For this reason, homosexuality and all other “sexual preferences” or “orientations” are unnatural, sinful, and unacceptable to God. Accordingly, this ministry will not perform any marriage ceremonies between two individuals of the same sex. It will not condone or recognize such samesex marriages, civil unions, or domestic partnerships, even though state law provides for recognition of such unions. We also believe that sexual activities such as, but not limited to, adultery, fornication, pre-marital sex, incest, polygamy, homosexuality, bisexuality, transgenderism, cross-dressing, pedophilia and bestiality are inconsistent with the teachings of the Bible and the Church. Further, lascivious behavior, the creation, viewing, and/or distribution of pornography and efforts to alter one’s physical gender or gender related appearance are incompatible with a true biblical witness. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:4-6; John 4:16-18; Romans 1:18-32; 1 Corinthians 5:11, 6:9-11, 6:18-20, and 7:1-3 and 8-9; Galatians 5:19-21; Ephesians 5:3-7; and 1 Timothy 1:9-11).
- We believe that the Bible places a high moral standard on those who would be ministers of the Gospel. Therefore, we expect moral and ethical integrity among those with whom we fellowship. We reserve the right to remove from fellowship any who become doctrinally aberrant, philosophically incompatible, or morally compromised.
- Every pastor, pastoral assistant, board member, employee, or volunteer shall be in good standing and affirm his or her unequivocal agreement with this Statement of Faith, Character, Belief and Ordinances as described in this Preamble. Any pastor, pastoral assistant, board member, employee, or volunteer whose confession of faith or behavior is in conflict with this Statement of Faith, Character, Beliefs and Ordinances will be subject to removal and termination from his or her position in the church.
- We believe the Bible is clear in its teaching on the sanctity of human life. Human life begins at conception. Therefore, we abhor the destruction of innocent human life through abortion-on demand, embryo research, cloning, and any other procedure that would harm or destroy innocent human life after conception.